INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES:
- Sign Pledge: “I affirm that I have not given or received any unauthorized help on this assignment, and that this work is my own.”
- Unauthorized help includes anything outside of what is provided through Canvas, your textbook, or any of the online resources provided through Cengage and OWL.
- Complete the exam.
- Show your work for each question. Any work not shown or uploaded by the due date will not be graded.
- You can upload in two ways:
- Save your answers as a new word file with the name: yourname.docx
- Write your answers on a separate sheet paper.
- Take a picture of your answers.
- Convert the image of your answers to a PDF.
- Upload the PDF to the Canvas assignment.
- Illegible answers or answers that are too small to read will not be graded.
- Submissions using any other method will not be accepted.
- You will have from 12:00 AM PST 12/08/20 to 11:59 PM 12/11/20 PST to upload your answers.
1. You discover a new planet. You discover two new elements A and D on this new planet. The molar masses of these new elements are determined to be:
Molar Mass of A = 50 g/mol
Molar Mass of D = 60 g/ mol
The standard reduction potentials for the cations of these new elements are calculated to be:
You construct to set up a galvanic cell to power your appliances using elements A and D.
The A-D battery is constructed as follows at 298 K:
Each electrode has a mass of 200 g.
a) Calculate the potential of the cell when the battery is first connected. (4pt)
b) Calculate the cell potential after 10.0 A of current has been produced for 20.0 h. (The volume of solution in each half cell is 1.00 L) (6pt)
c) Calculate each electrode’s mass after 20.0 h. (4 pt)
d) Calculate the time this battery can remain on while delivering a current of 10.0 A before it is no longer functional. (5 pt)
, kJ mol-1
, kJ mol-1
a) Calculatefor this reaction. (6 pts)
b) Is this reaction spontaneous at the given temperature? If it is spontaneous, is the reaction entropy drive or enthalpy driven? Explain all answers. (3 pts)