PRINCIPLES OF WATER CHEMISTRY
DUE ON 11/13/2020, at 5:00 PM
- Should be typed Or clearly printed with black pen using engineering paper and scanned, except for question-2
- If typing, using “Word”, select “INSERT” and “ EQUATION” and then “ INSERT NEW EQUATION” to type in chemical and mathematical formulas.
- SUBMISSION should be THROUGH CANVAS ONLY. Email submissions are not be accepted
Compute the dissolved concentration of carbon monoxide (CO) that would be in equilibrium with a gas phase containing 0.1ppm CO by volume. Express the determined concentration in mg CO/L.
Question-2 (50 points)
- Using the charge balance equation and the excel spreadsheet approach; determine the range of pH for a water in a cloud that has equilibrated with 1.0 ppm by volume SO2. The following is given:
- Calculate the pH of the same water using Visual MINTEQ.
Question-3 (25 points)
A groundwater supply is initially at pH 8.0 and contains 2*10-3 eq/L alkalinity. If the alkalinity is all attributable to the carbonate system, determine whether the water is under-saturated or supersaturated with respect to atmospheric CO2