TITLE (OF YOUR EXPERIMENT)
State the general purpose of your experiment.
A. Example “Can you determine the acidity of common substances?”
i. Usually 1 or 2 sentences after your question stating:
- What you will attempt to accomplish
- Any general knowledge you have on the issue
A. This is your educated guess on the outcome of your experiment
- Example “I think orange juice will have a pH of 7.”
- It does not have to be accurate, just what you think will be the outcome of the experiment
- 1-2 sentences depending on what you are evaluating
1. This does not mean ONLY 1-2 sentences. You must hypothesize the outcome of your experiment**
A. How you are going to proceed.
- This MUST be repeatable. The hallmark of any lab is that your results are repeatable.
- Imagine you are telling someone how to do the lab over the phone. You can show them so you must tell them in detail
- It is acceptable to have a list, and short sentences or instructions
- NEEDS to be specific
A. Charts/ / Tables
- NOT a paragraph.
- Results are strictly the numbers/outcomes of the experimental procedures.
- Keep standard units
- Example: do not record in miles, then feet, then inches. iii. DO NOT explain the results in this section, it is strictly for reporting results.
1. Explanations are done in the analysis/conclusion section
- Present your findings from the experiment
- Here you will explain your results
- Evaluate the results of the experiment against your hypothesis
- How accurate was your initial hypothesis?
- Discuss discrepancies with your results/ possible problems with the lab
- Example “I may have misreported certain pH values because multiple solutions were tested at the same time.”
- Infer improvements that could yield better results
- Example “in future experiments solutions should be tested one at a time to improve accuracy and avoid mistakes.”
IMPORTANT POINT TO KEEP IN MIND
-SPELLING AND GRAMMAR COUNT TOWARDS YOUR GRADE.
-PROCEDURES AND RESULTS SECTIONS ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT DO NOT REQUIRE FULL SENTENCES.
-ANY REPORT THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN THESE SECTIONS WILL
BE REJECTED OR RECEIVE A FAILING GRADE AT MY DISCRETION.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.