Chapter 2 Test: Extension Question
For this part of the test, I want you to find the food label for your favorite snack food. You can take a picture of the nutrition label with your phone. If you don’t have your favorite snack food on hand, you can do a Google search for nutrition label. For example, I enjoy eating Frosted Mini Wheats as a snack. When I did an image search, I found a good version of the nutrition label. Make sure the ingredients list is included!
- What is your favorite snack food? Insert a picture of the nutritional label here.
- List all the elements that can be found on the periodic table that are in your snack food, in order of most to least in one serving.
- Are there ionic compounds in your snack food ingredients? List the names and chemical formulas of any ionic compounds in your favorite snack. (you can look up the chemical formulas if needed)
- Are there any molecular compounds in your snack? List the names and chemical formulas of any molecular compounds in the snack. (you can look up the chemical formulas if needed)
- Pick one ingredient on the list that you are curious about. It could be something you have never heard of before, or an ingredient you know well. Look up some information about this substance. Describe what you have learned, for example, why this ingredient is added to the food, what is the source of the ingredient, is there any nutritional value, and other things you learned about it.