Homework Assignment #8
Chapter 8.2-8.3; 9.1-9.2 Due: Monday, November 2 by 11:59 pm
- True or False. Gases are highly compressible.
- According to the Kinetic Molecular theory, why do gases have low densities?
- True or False. The volume of the gas inside a balloon is the same as the volume of the balloon.
- Boyle’s Law explains which of the following?
- how hot air balloons float
- why compressed air canisters must be kept cool
- how breathing works
- why the tire air pressure may change when the seasons change
- True or False. The volume and temperature of an ideal gas are directly proportional if amount and pressure are constants.
- True or False. Intermolecular forces (IMFs) are present and may affect the behavior of nonideal (“real”) gases.
- What is the pressure (in atm) of 0.0255 moles of gas if it has a volume of 105.2 mL at a temperature of 45 °C? Hint: R = 0.08206 (L·atm)/(mol·K)
- What is volume (in L) of 1.29 moles of gas at a temperature of 285 K and a pressure of 0.924 atm? Hint: R = 0.08206 (L·atm)/(mol·K)
- For each pair of covalent compounds, which one is expected to be more soluble in water and why?
- C2H6 vs. C2H5OH
- CH2F2 vs. H2
- PH3 vs. NH3
10.) For each ionic compound, predict whether it should be soluble or insoluble in water and explain why.
- True or False. The solubility of most solid solutes in water decreases with increasing temperature.
- How many mL of a 3.00% w/v H2O2 solution are needed to provide 15.0 g H2O2?